Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Manti Pageant!! Legit!

Manti Temple At Night

Hola Padres!!!              27 June 2011  

Well as you can tell, it is Monday, so that means another letter/email from your son in the mission field. This week was pretty interesting, it was accompanied with a few changes and we are just rolling with them as the week continues to move on. 
Well I guess I can start from last week and work back to today. Last Monday for our fun activity of the day, we went and played 9 holes of golf. It was pretty legit. Golf is still a frustrating game, but it was a little more relaxed playing as a missionary. So we got to go play for free with the Zone Leaders, because of some guy that they know. So we went and played, I still got a little competitive and I end up only shooting a 12 over par. I don’t think that is so bad for not having played golf for over a year. 
This week I also went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders. I went to the English area with Elder Booher.  I learned a bunch of things on this exchange. One, that once again, English work is so much different from Spanish work. Everything is just tweaked a little bit, and it is a little more political. The another thing is really weird, but I don’t know if it is a good thing or a bad thing. If you remember at the beginning of my mission I would get headaches from being around all the Spanish and because I wasn’t used to it, I would have a headache all day. Well now it is the reverse effect! I was out with Elder Booher and speaking in English was pretty hard, it was especially difficult to try and remember the vocabulary about the Gospel. I have just forgotten so much about the Gospel lessons and I usually don’t spend that much time speaking in English during the day. So my head was just pounding the whole time as I was trying to speak English to all these people. Well I am thinking it is probably a good thing that I am at that point since I have been called in Spanish. I still speak good English, but most of the English I remember is just the slang and daily language I speak with my companions or other missionaries. The Spanish is just starting to over run the English.
Another new experience for this week is that I have two new roommates. They are the new English Elders for the stake that we used to cover in English. They are just living with us "temporarily", but they may end up staying with us for good. It is a little different to have some more people there to talk to when you come home at night. It feels a little like we are back in the MTC when there were so many people around you and in your room. 

Pageant - Savior Visit


The biggest event that happened this week is that Elder Leguizamon and I were asked to go up to the Manti Pageant, or the official name is the Manti Mormon Miracle Pageant. It was super legit! It was the farthest north I have ever been on the mission, and it was probably the longest car ride I will take on my mission. We went up there because before the show, we go out amongst all the people and talk to them and ask them for referrals for their friends and family. I felt kind of like a salesman, but it was pretty crazy to meet and talk with all these people. There were people from all over too. The show itself was pretty cool, it was a cool story line, but I heard that it doesn’t compare to the Hill Cumorah Pageant, but it was still a good experience. I think it is pretty funny that the whole town of Manti is only 3000 people, but that night at the Pageant, there was a total of 18,000 people! So that is quite a crowd!

Seating for 18,000!  Wow!
WEATHER . . Well the weather here is just one thing HOT! The days just keep getting hotter and hotter, earlier and earlier. It hit about 112 here this week, but I guess that is just one of the things that I will deal with. At least I know that there are a few more Elders that can share the experience of walking in the heat.
Well I hope everything is going great back at home, I didn’t get an email this week, so I don’t really have anything else to reply to, but take care and have a good week! (I am the WORST MOTHER EVER . . .  I just got busy with life and did not send a weekly email.  However, to make up for it, I am writing to him every day this week via regular postal service.) 

Live it, Love it, Preach it!   Les amo!    ELDER D!

No comments: