Monday, August 1, 2011

Being a Kid Again in Price!

Hola Padres!                  August 1, 2011

Boys Having FUN in the RAIN


The crazy times continue to roll on and become crazier and crazier! The people are super nice and that is making everything here quite a bit easier for me in Price. The number one thing is that I am still having to adjust to how you do missionary work in English. It is a completely different set up compared to the Spanish side of things. I am enjoying having this opportunity, but sometimes I still wish I was in an all Spanish area.

This week we have had some crazy weather. I suppose that it is because we are in the mountains and things like that, but it is way different from St. George. We have had so much rain, but best of all we have had some crazy thunderstorms. Last night there was so much lightning and thunder that we were in awe the whole time. We did manage to get some pretty legit pictures from it. Well one night the rain started to just come down in sheets and we realized that we had left the windows in our house open so we went home a little early to shut them, so our beds weren’t completely drenched for that night. So Elder Nathan and I had the bright idea to go outside and play in the rain. So we went back to like when we were 12 years old and would go run through puddles and play football, so that is what we did for 20 minutes. But can you really blame us, since that is the only water that were are "allowed" to play in?  (As missionaries, they are not allowed to swim or submerse themselves in water.)

The theme of this area for the last few weeks has been SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE! We have been out doing so much service for people it is crazy. We did some demolition work and took down a wall or two of a house. We are helping a less active guy clean out and remodel his basement. And we also have tons of other acts of service throughout the days. We are actually offering to help and people usually say "okay" but in a joking matter and then we actually do it, they are pretty surprised.

This week we also had Zone Conference. It was pretty good; the only bad part was that we had to travel for 2 hours to Richfield. That part kind of sucked, but that is what happens when you are in the middle of no where.

The big thing that happened this week was the International Days. It is this big fair type thing that happens every year in Price. There are so many people that come and there is a little carnival, booths, food, and entertainment. We were even in the International Days Parade! This parade was a lot bigger and a lot more fun! (from the one last week where they rode a tractor.)  We used the same tractor and trailer, but instead of a camp chair in the back, we put the recliner from our house. So it made the ride a whole lot more comfortable for me. The other cool thing is that we were placed behind a float for a music store that had a kid playing drums to some music on it. So the whole parade we followed them and were dancing and just having a grand ole time. The spectators sure seemed to enjoy us and they could see that we are regular guys that like to have fun, but at the same time teach others about God and Jesus Christ. Well to along with the parade stunt, we set up a booth in the park to help others understand what we do. So the whole day people were coming up to us and saying "was that you in the parade? That was so awesome!" So it was pretty cool to have people say that.

I LOVE MOM Tat!

I did have a good birthday and I am thankful to all the people that wished me a happy birthday and sent me cards! It was definitely a different experience to have a birthday on a mission. At home we would go out to eat and then hang out with friends. Here it is not like that at all. We don’t have a chance to press “pause” on a mission and take a personal day. It was pretty cool that a few different families here gave me lunch and made me cakes and cards. So don’t worry Mom, I was taken care of! I did try and spice up my birthday a little bit, so I decided to get a tatoo. It is a tribute to my mother! Hope you enjoy it! (See Picture!) 

Well to top my birthday, we had a baptism! We baptized a 10 year old girl named Kiona. She was the youngest of a less active family and Elder Nathan actually taught Kiona last year when he was here. So it was pretty cool to see her get baptized now. She is a really nice girl and hopefully continues forward in the Gospel and can be an example to the rest of her family and her friends.
On Sunday, we actually went to Primary. I felt like I was 10 years old all over again. It was a good change!
(Comments on the homefront – Chad’s dad has cancer surgery on Tuesday, August 2.)   I am glad that the Bishop and the Missionaries came by and were able to talk with Dad and help him out. I know that everything will be fine. I will still be here working as hard as I can to help others. But I am glad that these things are taking effect with your lives and your are striving to live healthier. And I will keep my fingers crossed too that Emma and Keith will be able to move out soon so you two can recuperate together. 
I am so grateful for all of your support and everything that you do for me! Keep on pushing through! "Things will always get better!"

Live it, Love it, Preach it!   Con muchismo amor,  ELDER D



No comments: