Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Transfers, New Companion, New Struggles, New Growth

Hola Mis Queridos Padres!     6 Sept 2011

Well this week has been a longer week then usual. I think it had to do with transfers and trying to adjust to a new companion. But the work must go on right? We are still striving to do our best, but this week was pretty tough in a lot of aspects of the work.
My new companion is Elder McCarty. He is a navy brat and has lived in quite a few places - Virginia, Washington, Japan, and most recently Dallas, Texas. He is a good guy, but we just don’t have a whole lot in common. He is a little more eccentric than I am and has a lot of different interests. He loves video games and choir and I love sports and movies. It has taken us a while to adjust to one another’s personalities. I know that it is just as hard for him as it is for me. It is just a crazy change from Elder Nathan, who I had almost everything in common with, to Elder McCarty, who I have almost nothing in common with. Don’t get me wrong, I am still trying to stay positive and look for the good in this companionship. Sometimes we are placed in companionships like this for a good learning experience, and maybe that is what this is for me. Back in the MTC I had a little trouble with one of my companions and things turned out pretty well as we adjusted and looked for the good. So hopefully things will get better and we will find that common ground somewhere.
Not too many crazy things happened this week, but there is one situation that was pretty random. We were out trying to find an address to contact a referral. We finally found it and we go up and knock on the door. No one answers. So I knock again. This guy comes to the door shirtless and he seemed half asleep. We talk to him and he isn’t really interested so we are getting ready to leave. He heads back in the house then turns around. The next part is just so crazy and hilarious to me. He says to me, "Oh... and don’t ever knock on my door like that again! You can knock, just not like that." I had to do all I could to keep myself from busting up laughing right in his face. I hadn’t knocked any different then I usually do, but no one has ever said anything like that to me before. I have been told that I have a "cop knock" but no one has freaked before. So just a fun little tidbit for the week.
A good thing from this week was that I am back to interviewing baptismal candidates. It is a little strenuous because our district is extremely large, but the traveling is just something that has to be done. It is always an memorable experience to meet other missionaries’ baptismal candidates. I think that is my number one favorite part of being a District Leader.
We have increased the Spanish work here a little. I spoke Spanish for basically a whole night teaching lessons and contacting people. So I got stuck in Spanish mode the rest of the night and it was hard for me to switch back and forth to English. We found out that one of our Spanish investigators that we hadn’t seen for about 5 weeks was up in the Tri-Cities for about a month. They usually go up there during the summer and work in the orchards and things; the husband actually is still up there. It was pretty random to talk to them about the Tri-Cities and that is where I live. It was pretty shocking to them as well. Who knows, maybe I will see them after my mission up there.
This weekend was pretty rough. As missionaries, it is a little hard for us to understand holidays and things like that since we don’t get them. I know a lot of people go camping and things on Labor Day weekend, but here it is exponentially worse. We seriously couldn’t find anyone home for 3 days straight. All of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday no one was around. The only people we could find at home were members that had to stick around because of the football game here this weekend. So we went there because that was where the people were. We contacted people and got to know some people down at the football game.
On Sunday, we went to the Spanish Branch for the first time in a month. It was so weird on how much more comfortable I felt just hearing a Sacrament Meeting in Spanish again. It was amazing! We also joined an all men's choir for a special Stake Conference. There is supposedly an Apostle coming to the Stake Conference, so we are using this as a ploy to be able to have a certain seat and one that is on the stand. J  It will be an interesting experience, so I will let you know how that goes in two weeks.
NEWS FROM HOME: I am happy that you got out and experienced Seattle. I am sure that it was amazing and a highlight for you two. I am glad that spending time with family was possible. (Darin and I were able to "escape" to Seattle and Lacey and go to Pike Street Market and enjoy a ferry ride and visit with Family.) I am glad that Turk is still as crazy as ever, and tell him that I will see what I can do to take a trip back to Hurricane and St. George with him after my mission.  (Brother DeMille mentioned that a trip back to Hurricane to visit some young ladies might be in order upon Chad's return from the mission field.  Always teasing and joking, Turk is!)  I am thankful for all the support, and everything you do for me! Have a great week!

Live it, Love it, Preach it!

Con muchismo amor,  ELDER D   (no pictures this week!!)

No comments: