Thursday, April 21, 2011

News from downtown St. George

Hola Padres!              April 18, 2011

Well it is that time of the week again! Yes, the one day that I get to do a few things for myself and a few things for others as well. Well this was INCREDIBLE!!!! It was honestly the most rewarding and successful week of my mission. It was just packed all day everyday. We didn’t have one moment to spare in any direction. I think we have definitely rekindled our fire from the first two weeks here, or we have started up a new one. We have just been going constantly. We have really been talking to everyone that we could. It doesn’t matter who it is or who opens the door, we talk to them and then teach them about the Restored Gospel.
It is just one of those things that comes with time I guess. When I first got out here to the mission, I was a bit timid to talk to people, one because it was in Spanish, and two because it was about the Church. But all the shyness is completely gone. I can talk to any random person on the street and somehow bring in the Gospel. That is a real blessing to see here in St. George.
Throughout all this craziness and the changing weather, I got a little sick. I had a cold and a fever for a while. It made it hard to sleep some nights, but I have gotten a little better. I had Elder Bravo give me a blessing on Friday night, so I will be okay Mom, don’t worry. The whole week was kind of a blur until Saturday, which is when things here got real interesting. (We will send him a care package with Vitamin C and TLC.)
In the morning we saw an Auburn Tigers football bus on the streets of St. George, which was interesting enough. We never figured out why there was a football team or whatever kind of team here in St. George when Auburn is one of the top athletic colleges in the country.  A mystery!
We had a really good lesson with an investigator named Freddy. After our lesson, he surprised us by taking us to RED LOBSTER, where he works as a chef. It was so weird to be back in a real restaurant like that. We typically eat at fast food restaurants, but not usually at a nicer place like that. Mom, don’t be too jealous, I know it is your favorite, but just have Dad take you out there to eat next Friday! J  So after the Red Lobster lunch, we did a really good deed for the day. There is a Sister in our Branch that had not gotten paid for the work she had done for another Branch member.  Because of all this she couldn’t have the party for her birthday that she had planned for lack of money. So Elder Bravo and I went and bought some stuff to surprise her. It was really nothing after everything she had done for one of our investigators. So we showed up with carne asada and a bunch of drinks and things. Needless to say, she was speechless. So if the day doesn’t seem crazy enough with all those things, we had a baptism to end the night!
The baptism was of Rosalio Memije. He has a crazy story. When the missionaries first knocked on his door, he didn’t want to have anything to do with them or the Church. So his wife took the lessons and was baptized in December. At her baptism, he said that he felt something and he wanted to learn more about the Church. He liked everything that was taught, but would never commit to baptism. Elder Bravo and I worked super hard to make it happen, and one day his wife just asked him why he wouldn’t get baptized. He said he really didn’t know so we asked him and he accepted! He is one of the funniest guys that we taught too. The baptism was done by Elder Bravo. Then he asked me to do the confirmation!!! That is absolutely nuts, because I have never done a confirmation in English, let alone Spanish! I somehow managed to stumble through it and it seemed to work out.
Our Sunday was just as packed as our Saturday. We had all our regular meetings and Church, and then we had another baptism!! This baptism was of Selene Rosales. She has a crazy story as well. I have no idea how she could go through everything she has had to deal with and still be able to have a positive outlook on life. She is really dedicated to the Church that is for sure. She works on Saturday nights until 6 in the morning sometimes, and then goes home and sleeps for two hours and then wakes up and comes to Church. I know that not even some members would do that, let alone an investigator. The Sunday night ended with a bunch of different meetings provided by the Branch, and then there was an Investigator Fireside. This is where a bunch of recent converts share their stories and how they became members. It is pretty powerful to have the investigators hear all of that. One of the speakers last night was Ana, she is lady that we baptized about 3 weeks ago. It was pretty crazy that she went for being so shy to now speaking in front of 35 people. The Gospel truly changes lives!
Comments on news from home: Brad (Romm) is the next missionary to go out from that ward. He turns 19 sometime this month and he should be getting his call soon if he is still on track and finished everything that he told me he still had left. He will be a good solid missionary. I am anxious to hear where he is going to go. Well my time is running short familia. Once again I am thankful for your support and I hope everything is going well as you are striving to do your best and follow the Gospel!

Live it, Love it, Preach it!   Con amor,   ELDER D

p.s.  picture of Elder Davis just hanging out with Brother Brigham. 

No comments: